By: Dr. Michael Miyasaki
I have always thought a hemostatic agent was a hemostatic agent. I would see the same common ingredients listed, ferric sulfate and aluminum chloride. The percentages were sometimes different, and I always felt more was better.
Besides this, there was the color, brown or transparent, and here the opposite thinking was applied. No color was probably better clinically with less staining. Unfortunately, ‘no color’ often meant a ‘compromise’ in the hemostatic agent’s effectiveness.
Ferric Sulfate Hemostatic Solutions
- Known for rapid onset hemostasis
- Can stain
- Not ideal for the aesthetic region
- Not ideal with self-etch (no-rinse) adhesives
Clear Hemostatic Solutions
- Aluminum or Magnesium Based
- Traditionally less rapid onset
- No staining
- Great in the aesthetic region
- Great for use with self-etch adhesives
This has changed with Quick-Stat Free and its innovative chemical technology. Quick chemistry lesson, larger molecular particles, and higher valence metal ions make better hemostatic agents. Iron is large and has a +3 valence. Aluminum also has a +3 valence, but it is a smaller particle, so to make up for this, Quick-Stat FREE has two additional ingredients. The first is magnesium with its +2 valence. As a kicker, the second is a surfactant that promotes the hemostatic solution’s ability to get into the capillaries.
Personally, what I have found is that without compromise, Quick-Stat FREE is a fast-acting, non-staining, and effective hemostatic agent. It is truly a world-class product.
I have found that hemostatic agents are less apples to apples, or the same, and more clementines to oranges, similar but different.
A Procedural Guide:
Step 1: Scrub the hemostatic agent firmly against the sulcus until bleeding is controlled.
Step 2: A tip with a padded end allows for gentle pressure to be applied, allowing hemostatic agent to penetrate cut capillaries.
Step 3: Use air/water to remove coagulum. If bleeding persists, repeat application.
Step 4: Once complete hemostasis has been achieved, use Stat-Pak™ retraction cord for tissue displacement.
- RE-GEN™ Dental Adhesive Awarded for Innovation
- Repairing White Lines In Posterior Resin Composites Using Interface and Surpass
- Vista Apex Launches eLearning Platform, Vista Apex U
- PinkWave™ Receives Catapult Vote of Confidence
- Meet Vista Apex – Josh Brock, Shipping Lead
- Meet Vista Apex – Katie Royce, Production Supervisor
- Vista Apex Honored as Bronze Stevie® Award Winner in 2021 American Business Awards®
- A Brief History of Dental Curing Lights
- Meet Vista Apex – Khongchee Xiong, Engineer