Most of the time, after we place a composite, we have to go back to shape and polish the restorations, be they Class I-VI. Our manipulation of our composites to their final contours are often limited by their tackiness, so we over-contour and polish them back, and that takes time. We get everything close, and once cured, go back and make it look and feel good. Well, now there is a solution called Seamfree. Like an iPad decades ago, I really didn’t miss it until I tried it, and now my team knows to have Seamfree ready every time we use a composite type material.
Here I’ll discuss a few simple options for improving composite placement.
- Many instruments have incorporated special non-stick coatings to reduce the sticking of the composite material to the instrument. I really like Dr. Ronald Jordan’s Composite Instrument Series from Clinician’s Choice with their Titanium Nitride non-stick surface.
- Another technique that I have encountered is placing a little adhesive on the instrument before manipulating the composite. This technique certainly improves handling, but it comes with some significant disadvantages. Many adhesives today contain volatile solvents and water, which are typically evaporated through the air-thinning process. When you place the adhesive on your instrument, then into the composite, the various solvents can interfere with the polymerization, weakening the restoration. Some can even impact the final shade of the material.
- Composite Wetting Resins are a great alternative to the previously mentioned technique. There are several of these materials available, all of them allowing you to create better contours without the instrument drag before curing. However, it is important to consider their possible solvent and filler content.
In my practice, I choose Seamfree. I love Seamfree because it co-polymerizes with the composite and never on its own, so there is no layer or ‘seam’ of polymerized resin beneath the composite layers.
I’ve broken down the various wetting resins that I have used in the chart below:
|Ultradent®* Composite Wetting Resin
|Bisco®* Modeling Resin
|Indications for use:
|Direct / Indirect
|Direct / Indirect
|Direct / Indirect
|Compatible with all methylmethacrylate materials
|Adds film thickness or seams to the final restoration
|Method of Application
|Syringe with Brush Tip, or Bottle with Micro applicator brush
|Syringe with Brush Tip
|Syringe with Tip
Placing composite without a wetting resin can feel like spreading cold butter on bread. Apply a layer of Seamfree to your instrument, and it will feel more like spreading warm butter on toast! Your composite will spread more effortlessly, but since Seamfree does not contain solvents or initiators, the physical properties of your composite will not be altered. Like the butter, it is absorbed, so there will be no added thickness. Using Seamfree significantly reduces the amount of time that I spend shaping and polishing so I am quicker without any compromise. And Seamfree is useful for both direct or indirect restorations. I would encourage you to try Seamfree and let me know what you think.
– Dr. Michael Miyasaki
- Dentist2Dentist Podcast: Mastering Dental Practice Management: A Blueprint for Success with Industry Leaders Garrett Caldwell and Stephanie BurrellEmbark on a journey, with Dr. John Kanca, through the transformative landscape of bioactive materials in dentistry, where tradition meets innovation at the intersection of health and science. Discover the remarkable evolution of dental bonding systems, as we trace their origins from the revolutionary fourth generation to today’s cutting-edge adhesives. Our exploration doesn’t stop at historical milestones; we also shatter common misconceptions and advocate for a more holistic approach to adhesion, thanks to insights I gained while working with pioneers at Apex Dental Materials. Ever wondered how a few strategic tweaks can turn a dental practice from average to outstanding? Get ready to absorb the wisdom of industry titans Garrett Caldwell and Stephanie Burrell, as they unveil the transformative power of financial analysis, expense control, and streamlined management. This episode is a treasure trove of actionable insights, revealing how even the most minor operational changes, such as scrutinizing leases and equipping your team with the right tools, can massively elevate a practice’s profitability. Diving into the heart of dental practice dynamics, our expert guests highlight the profound influence of a positive workplace culture and the sometimes tough choices that shape it. We explore the magic that happens when a team’s daily efforts align with the practice’s vision, creating efficient workflows and a patient experience that’s as smooth as freshly flossed teeth. If you’re seeking not just to survive but to thrive in the competitive dental industry, the guidance shared here on leadership, continuing education, and the dentist’s role as a dynamic team leader will be your compass to success. And because no practice operates in isolation, we tackle the art of marketing with a blend of traditional charm and digital savvy. Learn how community involvement and leveraging online reviews can be your secret weapons to attract new patients. For those facing the challenge of turning around a struggling practice, we dissect the back-to-basics approach that can lead to profitability in a matter of months. This episode doesn’t just scratch the surface—it’s an intensive masterclass in dental practice management, helping you chart a course to financial success and beyond.
- Dentist2Dentist Podcast: “Revolutionizing Restorative Dentistry: Harnessing Bioactive Materials for Healthier Smiles”- with Dr. John Kanca, III. Video Podcast RecordingEmbark on a journey, with Dr. John Kanca, through the transformative landscape of bioactive materials in dentistry, where tradition meets innovation at the intersection of health and science. Discover the remarkable evolution of dental bonding systems, as we trace their origins from the revolutionary fourth generation to today’s cutting-edge adhesives. Our exploration doesn’t stop at historical milestones; we also shatter common misconceptions and advocate for a more holistic approach to adhesion, thanks to insights I gained while working with pioneers at Apex Dental Materials. The conversation turns to the dynamic realm of bioactive properties and their promising applications in restorative dentistry. Imagine materials that mimic the natural process of bone formation, enhancing tooth remineralization and providing a formidable defense against secondary decay—this is not the stuff of fiction but the remarkable reality of bioactive glass and its derivatives. We dissect the mechanics of these materials and their symbiotic relationship with biological tissues, showcasing a future where dental restorations not only repair but also regenerate. Wrapping up, we provide a masterclass in the practical application of these revolutionary materials. Through a meticulous step-by-step guide, learn how to harness the power of Desensimax and Regen products for superior clinical outcomes. We also proudly introduce pulse activation, my personal innovation that minimizes post-operative sensitivity, redefining the standards for composite restoration techniques. By integrating bioactive materials into your practice, you’re not just restoring teeth—you’re fortifying the future of oral health.
- Dentist2Dentist Podcast: “Exploring the Impact of Technology in Dentistry and the Pursuit of Simplified Success”- with Dr. Sameer PuriEver wondered about the transformational power of technology in dentistry? Join us as we sit down with world-renowned leader in CAD/CAM dentistry, Dr. Sameer Puri. We travel through time, tracing the evolution of CEREC technology and exploring its impact not only on Dr. Puri’s career but also on the dental industry at large. Reflecting on his role as a CEREC beta tester, we uncover valuable insights into this revolutionary tech. We then shift gears, opening a candid conversation on the perils and pleasures of success. One of our guests takes us through his personal journey of wealth accumulation and the ensuing realization of the importance of living within one’s means. Drawing from his plans to downsize and simplify life, we delve into the art of finding happiness in simplicity, the balance between risk and caution, and the joy of redefining priorities. Rounding off our episode is an intriguing chat with Dr. Mike Miyasaki, a dentist turned successful entrepreneur. Dr. Mike shares his experience incorporating the Syrac into his practice, recounting the immense benefits it brought. We also hear from Dr. Sam Puri, who shares the unique challenges and rewards of the dental profession. This episode is a treasure trove of personal experiences, professional insights, and honest reflections on dentistry, success, and the pursuit of happiness. Join us on this enlightening journey.
- Dentist2Dentist Podcast: “Revolutionizing Dental Materials” -with Scott Lamerand, CEO of Vista Apex Dental MaterialsAll Episodes Edit Revolutionizing Dental Materials with Scott Lamerand, CEO of Vista Apex Dental Materials COHOST MM DR. MICHEAL MIYASAKI SEASON: 1 EPISODE: 3 Description Chapters Transcript Are you ready to revolutionize your understanding of dental materials? Our episode today brings you a captivating conversation with Scott Lamerand, the CEO of Vista Apex Dental Materials. His journey in the dental industry began in 1994 at Bisco Dental Products and brought him to form Apex Dental Materials in 2001. Scott shares his belief in focusing on the needs of the doctor and patient over mere profit motives. He also emphasizes the value of collaboration over competition in the industry. Dive into the world of bioactivity in dental materials, a sector Vista Apex Dental Materials has revolutionized. Learn about the genesis of the RE-GEN product line and the innovative adhesive technology incorporated into a sealer. Discover the breakthrough solution for zirconia contaminant removal, ZR-C and ZR-P, a product designed to simplify the lives of doctors and patients. We wrap up by highlighting Vista Apex, a collaborative platform where clinicians and the company work together to develop new products, and where stellar customer service is just a call away. Are you game for this enlightening journey? Don’t miss out!
- Unveiling “Dentist2Dentist”: Welcome to Dentist 2 Dentist Podcast for Dentists by Dentist and thier Clinical TeamJoin Dr. Mike Miyasaki as he talks dentist to dentist about the trends, products, and clinical applications in dentistry today
- A Lost Revenue Source: Root Canal TherapiesA lost revenue source in many general practices is doing root canals. Why don’t more GP’s enjoy root canals? Because some fail to heal. And why do they fail to heal? Read Vista Apex’s Blog Post to Find out Why
- Steps To Ensure Your Zirconia Stays On The ToothWritten by Dr. Mike Miyasaki, Chief Dental Officer This post…
- RE-GEN™ Dental Adhesive Awarded for InnovationRE-GEN™ Bioactive Dental Adhesive Wins Two International Business Awards®
- Repairing White Lines In Posterior Resin Composites Using Interface and SurpassBY: Dr. John Kanka III Understanding the white lines on…